27 March 2011

Operation Heroes and Hounds

It's Post Time
This is a very cool program that I think you all should be aware of.  There are a lot of doggies like me who are homeless and feel unloved.  Some puppies have been in shelters for 7 years without being adopted.  It makes me sad to think that there are other puppies like me who aren't as lucky as I have been and who are waiting for a permanent home and for someone to love them.

This is a great story about a program that is working to help dogs and to help veterans feel better about themselves and their lives when they return from war.  My Papa tells me that war is a very bad thing and that people often get confused and disoriented after being in such horrible conditions.  He says it might be like when I was younger and being made to race against other puppies that I just wanted to play with.  We don't really know because neither of us have ever been in a war, but he understands that it is often very rough on the people who are.

This program matches puppies who people think cannot be adopted because they have things about them that humans may not like or understand.  Papa says that those puppies a little like my brother Nicholas, who sometimes gets very upset and nasty to people and then can't really figure out why.  Papa says he;s just scared and doesn't know how to deal with his fears.  That's very sad, I think.  Anyway, these puppies are being given to veterans to help train so they can be better companion animals and humans will adopt them.  The program is working and is very successful both for these veterans and the puppies they are training.

This is a very cool thing.  Here is a short video for you to watch about it.




The full story can be found on the Huffington Post
Operation Heroes and Hounds Matches War Veterans with Death Row Dogs
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/24/operation-heroes-hounds-veterans_n_840257.html

The program was started by dog trainer Tamar Geller of The Loved Dog.
Operation Heroes and Hounds
http://www.tamargeller.com/outreach-heroes.php

"We are all just one hug away from a better world."  How cool is that?

Keep your tail up and wagging!
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you liked my story. Please tell me what you think.