12 December 2010

Want a Puppy for Christmas? Katie says adopt!

It's Post Time
Hi everyone. I want to share some good news with you and also, take the time to ask you to do me a favor this holiday season.

First the good news.

My Papa made me a very warm coat.  I just love it.  My other coat that papa made from one of his sweatshirts is very cool, and I love it,.  But as it got colder outside, I really was starting to get cold in that coat.  I wanted something warmer so I could enjoy our family walks.  So Papa made me a nice warm coat.  I love the diamond pattern and it has two layers of fuzzy material that is very warm.  And it makes me look very pretty.  I'll model it for you. 



What do you think?

And now for something a little more serious...

I know that holidays are a popular time for getting pets for your kids. believe me, I understand how important it is for dogs to have people and for people to have dogs. I get that. But I am going to ask that you adopt a shelter dog, rather than buy one from a puppy mill or a pet store. Please. It is so important. There are millions of unwanted and wonderful dogs out there who just want a home and someone to love. I know. I am one of those dogs. I was bred in a puppy mill for racing dogs, and when showed that I had too much independence and would not run fast just to beat other dogs in a race, I was discarded. I was lucky because I was allowed to go to a shelter. But that shelter was overcrowded, and I was moved to another shelter. I finally met my new parents in a lucky turn of events that doesn't happen to every dog. Most dogs get overlooked, or missed, or ignored. As shelters get over crowded, they kill those dogs who take too long to get adopted so they can make room for others who might. It's an awful experience.

On the other hand, I understand the need for some people to get a puppy who they could raise and train from a a young age. That's all well and good, but all dogs can be trained, at any age. And baby puppies don't know how to go potty outside like already trained, shelter dogs do. So you can eliminate the need for potty training and work exclusively on the obedience training. Now just between you and me, some dogs take to training more than others. I know that I can sometimes be a handful for my daddy and he gets impatient because I don't listen. But it isn't because I am stupid or don't understand. It's that I am stubborn sometimes and forget that I should listen and be good. I want to listen, but sometimes I just don't. But that's just as try for puppies, even more because they don't have the experiences that shelter dogs do. And shelter dogs are so much more grateful.

So please, if you plan on giving a companion animal as a gift this year, please adopt, not buy. It would make a formerly unwanted dog like me, very happy. and you can make them a pretty new coat and they will love you for it forever.

Here's an ad from Peta that makes my point a little sharper!


Well, what did you think? Pretty interesting ad, but the dogs in bags makes me very sad.

Here are a few stories you might want to read about adopting dogs from shelters.

Reasons to Adopt a Dog and Myths About Shelter Adoptions

The Pope, Peta, and Overpopulation - Ingrid Newkirk

Peta's Everyday Dogs Ad to Promote Adopotion

5 Myths About Adopting Shelter Dogs

Puppy Mills from the Humane Society

I hope you read over these stories on the internet and get a better understanding of just how wonderful shelter dogs are.  All we want is a chance to love someone. And sometimes we may need a little extra effort, but you should excuse us for that.  It's not our fault.  We were all abandoned by those we loved unconditionally at one time or another.  That's kind of hard to bear for a little puppy.  So if you're going to get a puppy or a dog from either a shelter or a store, make sure you want it for real.

Well, have a nice holiday season.  I hope you can enjoy the new year with a new companion animal from your local shelter.  It'll be your best holiday ever.  I promise.  And I don't lie.

Keep your tail up and wagging!
-Katie

2 comments:

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you liked my story. Please tell me what you think.